Alex L. Cohen – Digital Marketer
Hi, I’m Alex L. Cohen. I love digital marketing, particularly the challenge of marketing effectively with beautiful, on-brand websites that function as expected and deliver killer business results. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me @digitalalex
A little bit about me (from my LinkedIn profile):
Data-driven marketer with online marketing experience and a track record of generating profit, particularly at mid-size, growth companies and smaller, resource constrained startups.
Well versed in media buying, display, paid search, web analytics, and conversion ratio optimization. Consistently promoted for outstanding results and the ability to build revenue generating teams and marketing infrastructure from the ground up.
I’m available for short term freelance consulting work to help startups and established companies accelerate customer acquisition, including:
- Customer acquisition marketing plans
- Marketing business models
- Team planning and recruiting advice
- Venture capital due diligence
- Tactical campaign audits (paid search, display, etc.)
- Landing page optimization
My rate varies depending on project and length of time, but usually start around $150 per hour. For more information, email me: email@example.com
(back to top)
Senior Manager, Acquisition Marketing at GrubHub, Inc.
January 2013 – Present
I manage all media planning, buying and optimization of display, mobile, digital audio, digital video, and affiliate marketing to profitably acquire new diners for GrubHub Inc, supporting both GrubHub and Seamless brands.
Seamless and Grubhub merged to form GrubHub Inc in August 2013
Director of Marketing at H.Bloom
August 2011 – October 2012
H.Bloom, backed by Battery Ventures and Shasta Ventures, is a flower and plant startup that delivers bouquets and plants to businesses and consumers through a cost-effective subscription model in New York, DC, Chicago, San Francisco and Dallas. They take a Netflix like model to the $30 billion dollar industry served by 1-800-Flowers, Teleflora, Proflowers and local florists.
As a member of the management team reporting to the CEO, I oversaw all online and offline marketing for H.Bloom’s consumer line of business and contributed to the strategic direction of the company.
- Improved the consumer metrics, including 60% yr/yr growth in consumer revenues and subscriber base, 65% yr/yr decrease in customer acquisition cost (CAC) and 29% yr/yr decrease in churn
- Managed all customer acquisition and retention channels, including paid search, display (remarketing), affiliate, email, SEO, social media and direct mail
- Managed 2 direct reports
- Oversaw the Brand Director to execute a consistent look, tone and feel across all media and to develop new product lines
- Managed Customer Experience Specialist to ensure loyalty inspiring customer service and reduce churn
Senior Marketing Manager at ClickEquations
December 2009 – August 2011
- ClickEquations was venture backed startup that provides SaaS technology to help companies manage paid search advertising, similar to Marin Software, Kenshoo and Acquisio. ClickEquations was successfully acquired by Channel Intelligence in June 2011.
- Reporting to the CEO, I served as a member of the management team and head of marketing. I built and ran the entire marketing infrastructure, managing all channels, vendors and negotations. Promoted from Marketing Manager in December 2009
- Generated leads accounting for the majority of the sales booked in 2010
- Managed a complete website redesign on time and on budget. Visits increased 63% increase and page views increased 19% (excluding blog visitors)
- Secured 6 total speaking opportunities covering all major US search events, improving lead generation at trade show sponsorships and raising brand awareness cost effectively
- Implemented Marketo, creating a new channel for converting leads to opportunities (lead nurturing emails), improving sales intelligence (lead scoring) and support a transition to increasing sales through prospecting
- Increased public exposure through analyst relations and inclusion in research reports by Forrester Research, eConsultancy, PPC Summit, Search Engine Land (upcoming)
- Built a lead PPC writing spot in Search Engine Watch, producing 12 articles
- Executed all offline and online marketing, including PPC, SEO, social media, public relations, lead nurturing, email marketing, content creation, speaking, web analytics, website design, testing and optimization
Marketing Manager at ClickEquations
August 2008 – December 2009
- Delivered regular leads to the sales team at 50% of the target cost-per-lead
- Planned and executed an education strategy with 3 white papers, 7 videos and a monthly newsletter
- Raised brand awareness through pitches to press, interviews with bloggers, and securing speaking slots at industry conferences.
- Managed the search engine optimization, paid search campaigns, display advertising and website testing.
Strategic Account Manager at ClickEquations (formerly Commerce360)
January 2008 – August 2008
- As a Strategic Account Manager, I was at the front line of the client-agency relationship. I had ultimate responsibility for team performance and client satisfaction.
- I oversaw a team of paid search experts to successfully plan, execute, measure and optimize a total of well over $1MM in annual paid search spend.
- Working with subject matter experts, I developed search engine optimization (SEO) strategies for clients large and small. I established client side relationships with marketing, development and content teams to manage projects that translated strategies into live tactics.
- My clients ranged from cutting-edge web startups to Fortune 100 household names. I worked with clients in media, ecommerce, apparel, legal, photography and telecommunications verticals.
Strategic Analyst at ClickEquations (formerly Commerce360)
March 2007 – January 2008
- What is a Strategic Analyst? Well, half of my job is developing interactive marketing strategies, i.e. how to help my clients achieve their business goals online. Strategy, as I define it, is about making the right choices and setting priorities among a sea of options. It’s the result of a deep understanding of my client’s business, customers, competitive landscape and business limitations.
- The other half of my job is web analytics. Simply put, I help measure and analyze the success or failure of our strategies and tactics. Based on that analysis, I pull out key, actionable insights to improve results. Most people understand web analytics through tools like Omniture, Google Analytics and WebTrends (all of which I have used or currently use). I expand my view of “web analytics” beyond these behavioral metrics (the “what”) to include the experience and outcomes of customers and prospects (the “why”).
Associate Strategic Consultant at Refinery, Inc. (now G2 Philly)
November 2006 – March 2007 ( 5 months)
- I develop interactive strategies and tactics based on insight from web analytics, surveys, secondary research, emerging interactive trends, and marketing strategy best practices. Additionally, I craft clear stories from the mounds of information and develop actionable, data-driven recommendations for site and campaign improvement.
Analyst at Refinery, Inc. (now G2 Philly)
November 2005 – November 2006 (1 year 1 month)
- Web analytics for a large pharmaceutical client with product web sites in more than 6 different categories, including cholesterol, osteoporosis and oncology.
Marketing Analyst at Roska Direct
January 2005 – November 2005 ( 11 months)
- Strategic planning and marketing analysis for direct marketing programs in a variety of verticals, including pharmaceuticals, yellow pages and chemical manufacturing.
Assistant Marketing Analyst at Roska Direct
February 2004 – January 2005 (1 year)
- Reporting to the VP of Strategic Planning, this position involved leading and participating in teams to generate marketing plans, develop new business presentations and proposals and provide strategic guidance and results analysis for ongoing direct marketing projects.
Associate Account Executive at Roska Direct
August 2003 – February 2004 ( 7 months)
- Reporting to the CEO, this position involved cross-training among Account Management, Strategic Planning, and Traffic. Key responsibilities included maintaining positive client relations and working with multi-department teams to manage projects from concept through post-campaign analysis.